According to Mark Roemer Oakland, wisdom teeth can create all sorts of issues such as swelling in the jaw, damage to surrounding structures, pain in the jaw, loss of gums, bleeding gums, foul-smelling breath, inflamed irritated gums, and more. As a result, many people have to get them removed when the problems get out of hand. If you are still on the fence about removing your set of wisdom teeth, you should consult a dentist. However, you can also continue reading to understand the impact of removing wisdom teeth.
Here are a few benefits of removing your wisdom teeth:
- Fixes tooth shifting issues – Wisdom teeth are notorious for overcrowding the jawline and pushing against the adjacent second molars which result in intense pain, and even crooked teeth or jagged jawline. If left untreated for long, the problem will worsen and even create cavities and bone loss. Removing wisdom teeth at the early stages and getting braces can fix the tooth shifting issue.
- Reduces the risk of periodontal disease – Tooth shifting can create irregular gaps between the teeth that become hard to clean via brushing or even flossing. Due to improper removal of food stuck in between these gaps, it becomes the perfect breeding ground for harmful bacteria which further causes tooth decay, tooth loss, and periodontal disease.
- Prevents headaches caused due to toothache – Since wisdom teeth grow after adolescence when the other surrounding teeth have already set permanently, it causes excruciating pain when they push against the surrounding teeth. The pain can often escalate into excruciating headaches and the only way to permanently get rid of such headaches is to get rid of the wisdom teeth.
- It reduces the risk of inflammation and infection – The separation and formation of cavities due to the pushing of wisdom teeth against the other teeth in your mouth are bad in themselves but they can also cause gum inflammation which further complicates the problem. Once the inflammation sets in, it can get extremely difficult to fix it. Moreover, it can lead to other problems such as bacterial infection and teeth misalignment which can ruin your beautiful smile and oral health.
- It can prevent cysts and tumors – An infection caused due to wisdom teeth can sometimes result in the formation of cysts or tumors. Tumors and cysts in your mouth are never a good experience and can cause a lot of pain and lead to other problems. You would need to undergo TMJ treatment options by consulting a TMJ specialist in such cases. However, the best solution is to prevent the issue from occurring in the first place by removing your wisdom teeth.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests you don’t ignore the eruption of wisdom teeth even if you don’t feel any pain or suffer from any side effects. It is recommended that you consult your dentist and allow them to perform a thorough checkup of your dental health to properly examine the impact of your wisdom teeth and avoid unnecessary problems in the future.